Saturday 7 November 2015

Concept: Timepiece Simple Detail Iterations


I used a template to figure out what type of base I wanted to use with the timepiece levitating above it. The two main material ideas are granite and marble; I thought dark and light bases would work best due to the idea of wanting coloured light to reflect the time of day. I like the Nero Maltese granite more than the others and I like the majority of the marble bases, however, due to the coloured light idea, I chose a white one and worked on it more to see how the reflections would look.

I really like the reflection of the light on a black surface as the brightness of the colour works well on the dark surface. Although these are rough detailed ideas, I like the brush used to create the granite-like texture and thinks it works well.


The white marble base looks more clean than the dynamic black, however the rings were altered from black to two shades of grey as the black rings didn't seem to go well with this base than the black base. The light grey works better with the white base than the other two colours, but if I were to choose this grey then I would add some white into the rings to match it with the marble base. If I were to choose the marble base then I would not use the black rings.
Overall, I think it's between the granite black rings and the light grey marble rings.

The colour of the light for midnight to noon and noon to midnight will be different, illustrating which 6 o'clock (6th ring lit up) it is. These colours needs to be carefully considered as it needs to be prominent enough to be noticed in the day light, therefore I would not use yellow or orange, nor blue due to the brightness of the surroundings outside usually from roughly 6am to 6pm.
It will probably be red for midnight to noon and purple for noon to midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment