Sunday 8 November 2015

Concept: Timepiece Final Painting


The final painting of the timepiece turned out much better than that of the insect. I had more practice and got used to using a tablet again, however I can't help but feel that a night scene is simpler to paint than day. Shadows are something I still need to work on, although I think the sun and the colour of the background works well.

Even from the initial stage of the paining process, it is evident that starting this, I was much more confident than I was while starting the insect painting. I wanted to create a night scene using inspiration from Stonehenge as the light from the timepiece would be effective in this location and it would be easier to see.
When I created the sun setting, I worked several layers into it, making it seem illuminated and then painted around around the areas, blending it just enough to make it look like rays. I then made the sky and grass areas darker where the light would not reach.
To emphasise that we are looking at straight on with the sun rising, I added hints of orange and yellow along the horizon.
Due to the view point of the painting, the timepiece is seen head on and should be obscured in darkness as the sun is behind the object. This stage does not reflect it as I knew that there would be light emanating from the object itself.
In this stage, I textured the timepiece as included the coloured light from the object, illustating that it should be 6:45AM and added the shadow. There is also more shading on the timepiece as a better reflection of where the light is coming from.










I took inspiration for the background from
Allthesky.com, (2015). Stonehenge - Observatories - Digital Images of the Sky. [online] Available at: http://www.allthesky.com/observatories/stonehenge.html [Accessed 13 Nov. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment