Sunday 29 November 2015

Summary: 16th - 29th November 2015

During these two weeks with no sessions or lectures, I continued reading d'artiste: Character Design by artists Anne Pogoda, Kekai Kotaki and Gonzalo OrdoƱez and Creative Character Design by Bryan Tillman.

Ballistic Publishing's d'artiste: Character Design showed examples of the artists' work with interviews. The book shows the processes the artists use to begin painting. I found this really interesting as I struggle with initial shapes of a character. I found one of the methods especially appealing as I still have trouble working with silhouettes, although it would need a basic understanding of anatomy and body shapes which I don't have yet.





As I began reading Tillman's Creative Character Design, although I didn't finish it, it felt like a book which I would want to go back over and read to fully understand. It touches on Archetypes, what makes a good character design and what you need to remember, as well as the stages of progress. Tillman writes about things touched on in lectures, talking about archetypes and shapes. Tillman talks about what is essential to remember whilst creating the design.

I didn't get a chance to finish the book or even take as much in as I wanted to so I bought the book on Amazon and it arrived today so I'll be able to finish it properly and keep coming back to this book and re-reading it.



Simon Parkin's An Illustrated History of 151 Video Games is a book I wish I had had during the contextual studies tasks. During those tasks, I discovered that my knowledge was lacking when it came to different areas of video games and their history. Reading this book has helped me actually understand how much I didn't know. The book talks about important games and events throughout history, and also the development of these games, companies and consoles.

This also seems like a book I may want to go back and reference so I'm not sure whether or not I am going to buy this book after it's due back in the library.









I have yet to read Chris Solarski's Drawing Basics and Video Game Art, which I borrowed along with An Illustrated History of 151 Video Games from the library when I returned d'artiste: Character Design and Creative Character Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment